1. Guangdong Province Key Laboratory of Arrhythmia and Electrophysiology, Guangzhou, 510120 China
2. Department of Cardiology, Sun Yat-sen Memorial Hospital of Sun Yat-sen University, Guangzhou, 510120 China
3. Department of Radiation Oncology, Sun Yat-sen Memorial Hospital of Sun Yat-sen University, Guangzhou, 510120 China
4. Renal division, Kiang Wu Hospital, Macau SAR, China
5. Department of Nutrition, Sun Yat-sen Memorial Hospital of Sun Yat-sen University, Guangzhou, 510120 China
6. Department of blood purification, the Second Affiliated Hospital of Guangzhou Medical college, Guangzhou, 510260 China
7. Hemodialysis Center, the First Affiliated Hospital of Guangdong Hospital University of Pharmacy, Guangzhou, 510080 China
* Jie Chen and Hongquan Peng contributed equally to the development of this research study.
Aims: To assess the nutritional status, combination with anthropometric measurements and modified quantitative subjective global assessment (MQSGA) was used in multi-center hemodialysis population in South China.
Methods: A cross-sectional, descriptive-analytic study was performed in 4 teaching hospitals in South China, dated from January 2010 to December 2011. Nutritional status was assessed with MQSGA and related anthropometric indexes. Serum albumin and transthyretin were also determined for nutritional assessment.
Results: Eighty-two randomly selected hemodialysis patients participated in the nutritional assessment, of which 75 hemodialysis patients completed all assessments. The average age was 62.70 ± 14.21 years. The mean duration of hemodialysis was 3.29 ± 1.08 years. Of the included patients, 32% patients were well nourished, 60% were mild to moderately malnourished, and 8% were severely malnourished. Along with the malnutrition severity, the serum transthyretin significantly decreased. However, no obvious changes were found in serum albumin. The mean value (Mean ± SD; 25.78 ± 4.09 cm) of mid arm circumference (MAC) was negatively correlated with MQSGA (r = -0.365; P = 0.002). Body mass index (BMI) (Mean ± SD; 21.6 ± 3.1 kg/m2) was also significantly negatively correlated with MQSGA (r = -0.392; P = 0.001). The areas under the receiver operating characteristic curve were 0.664 and 0.726, respectively.
Conclusions: Malnutrition is very common in South China hemodialysis population. Both BMI and MAC were effective markers for assessing nutritional status.
Keywords: Nutrition, modified quantitative subjective global assessment, anthropometric measurements, hemodialysis